Low Blood Sugar
- When my blood sugar is low, it means I don't have enough sugar in my body. I have to stop what i'm doing and replace the sugar. I usually use lucozade sport to do this.
- It is really important that I don't just continue when i'm "hypo" or my blood sugar is low because that can make my blood sugar drop lower.
- Things that can drop my blood sugar include exercise, alcohol, insulin and heat.
High Blood Sugar
- When my blood sugar is high is means I don't have enough insulin in my body. I need to give a dose of insulin, but that takes a while to work, so I may be feeling ill for a while.
- When my blood sugar is high, I feel so sluggish, I have brain fog (so I may act ultra stupid), I am so tired and thirsty and I go to the toilet a lot.
- It takes a lot of effort to even walk up the stairs, so don't expect much from me in that period.
- When I take about being "High", I am talking about my blood sugar, not drugs!
- I wear an insulin pump to administer my insulin, and this is attached to my body through a cannula. It has replaced multiple daily injections which I previously used.
- I count every carbohydrate I eat, which helps me figure out how much insulin to give for a meal. So if you see me looking at a food packet nutritional information, do not just assume i'm on a diet!
- Diabetics don't need to differ what they eat, just be healthy like everyone else.
- I can still drink alcohol! I just need to plan, and make sure i'm safe throughout the night.
Type 1 Diabetes is really hard to control, so I can't always get it right!
Until next Time,